Thursday 10 July 2008

Well I didn't expect to make another emotional post after the one below, but today's blog prompt fom Shimelle was a favourite poem. This poem was read by my brother at mum's funeral and the words give me some comfort when I think about her.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
(Origin disputed)

Apologies to anyone visiting my blog for the first time - I'm not usually this maudlin!

10 comments:

Eleni Gratsia said...

Ah, I see that your poem is along the same lines as mine! It is beautiful and so true! :) Thanks for sharing!

Rhona said...

I do remember hearing this one before and thought it beautiful then and now. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Nicola said...

This is one of my favourite poems too, so beautiful.

CloClo said...

A beautiful poem, and I'm glad it brought you some comfort - I had never heard it before so thanks for sharing it x

Steph said...

Sending you hugs Fay - beautiful poem

Pippa (pjbear) said...

Tissues used as suggested, I love the sentiment, have to stop all this crying soon, the keyboard will be floating away.

dddeeebbbzzz said...

Ooops you did warn us about the need for tissues. Didn't get past the first line!

Anita said...

Its such a beautiful poem ...

valerie said...

I absolutley adore that poem we had it at my older sisters funeral it was a great comfort

Val

debs14 said...

I so very nearly chose this one too! It's so hard to lose your parents and there are times when the thought that they are all around you in spirit gives you that extra little bit of energy to get through a tough time.